Xr6 Turbo - Track Car ? Worth It ?

pelican

• Pelican
  • Member For: 18y 9m

THANK YOU EVERYONE for the updates.....

Mitchell, your car has a new admirer !! Music to my ears going round QR !!!!

So, now I'm totally conflicted... oh well... $hit happens I guess !!!

Will keep my eyes open and see what I can find....

ON a SIDE NOTE - What do you need to go racing like that ? Full roll cage ? Extinguisher etc ?? What about CAMS licence ??

THANKS

Scott

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 10m 23d

Well It depends, If you want to do club racing you'll need a CAMS license but if you just plan on doing Track Attack days you'll need a AASA license. For club racing you need a fire extinguisher, Non-flammable neck to wrist to ankle clothing and a helmet that meets Australian Standards. Where as Track Attack, you only require the helmet and clothing. A roll cage Isn't required for either. The other thing I've fitted was a removable 4 point harness to keep me snug in the seat.

• Member For: 17y 17d

Hi guys,

Been a few years since I've been here, and, not sure if this has been talked about in any way.....

I'm contemplating buying a cheapy old BA-BF turbo, and, setting it up as a track/race car....... I LOVED having my car, and, think that it's potential on atrack, such as Qld Raceway would be fantastic, As long as I could manage :

1. Cooling

2. Transmission

3. Brakes & Suspension....

Initially would work on making the car lighter, by stripping out the interior, spare wheel etc.....

Any thoughts about this ?? Not worth the hassle etc ??? I don't need or want a 9 second car, I just want to be able to drive it like a scalded cat on a track....

Cheers & Thanks....

Scott

If you ditch some weight and tend to the things you have mentioned, you will have a sh*tload of fun and surprise a lot of people!

I track my Daily Drive all the time!

- It has 'everything' required for reliability and performance at the Track!

- But, if I were to ditch a few Hundred Kilo's.....

If you can afford it, I would definitely go for it!

• Pelican

Rosie,

Thanks....

What got me thinking about it was the number of Damaged Xr6 T's at the auctions.... and being able to grab one CHEAP......

Strip it out completely, and have some fun !!!.......

Every man and his dog as a Jap pocket rocket, but I'd like to show up with a SLEEPER !!! and HAVE FUN.......

Think I forgot to mention, I'd just like to have some fun...... I had my xr6t and absolutely LOVED it..... Did equivalent of Gold Coast to Byron Bay in 19 minutes.... But on a CLOSED TRACK of course......

Was the only car I've driven that I had a smile on my face, EVERY time I drove it......

I miss my T........ :crybaby:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Pelican

Hi there....

Well, am definitely planning to go ahead with this..... Depends on what comes up at the damaged car auctions... that way I get a cheap start base.....

I'm looking at getting an old celica first for my boys and I to fix with..... then,..... TRACK BEAST....

Will keep you all up to date.... when I get going !

Cheers

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 30d

Are you going to leave it as an auto?

Never mind thought you were talking about the XR in your sig.

• 1 year later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m

I've been tracking my fgxr6t now for years. Down to 8's at Wakefield in a daily driven car that has done over 200,000kms. Just pull the 3 baby seats out on the day and fit a 4 point harness.

When set up correctly, these cars surprise a lot of people.

Mine has 1000lb custom Bilstein/Eibach Coilovers at the front, big front sway bar.

E85 and around 320rwkw on the circuit tune.

Will be testing some 275/35 18's all round on June 10th at a Circuit club day. Tyres will be new medium C51 Hankook Z214 grooved slicks.

Front pads are crucial. In the 4 pot brembos, I have the best I can afford. Project Mu H16-03.

Camber makes a big difference. Current settings are 3.5neg front, 1.5 neg rear.