Eboost2

lozza

• Member For: 14y 3m 27d

Just been pondering about eboost for a while. I see its in alot of highpowered xr/phoons. My question, why would someone pick an eboost over any other form of tuning? What are its benefits/downfalls?

I have read about it from turbosmart but I want opinons from the people that use it everyday and have had experiences/dealings with it.

Thanks.

• UNDERCOAT CRUISER!!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 3m 6d

I run the eboost-street controller,my car is tuned using VCM suite,I have 2 settings on the controller,1st setting is 10 psi and the 2nd setting is for 15psi I can change settings while driving.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 15d

Hi guys how much is a boost controller and how easy is it to install ?

Anywhere from $100 to $700. Piece of cake to install really.

Thing is, the factory boost control is very good and way more advanced than many of the aftermarket controllers. I have an eBoost Street for example and it works great when the car has been modded right. Problem is the street runs a set solenoid duty cycle when the gate pressure is reached. This can be a problem with lots of back pressure as the internal gate is forced open and you really need to command more duty cycle hi in the rev range (so boost drops). At the other end of the scale if you have low or no back pressure then you want to command less duty cycle high in the rev range (or boost rises).

The eBoost2 has set point mapping so you can command different duty cycles which will over come this issue but it's alot more expensive than the street. Unless you really want to change boost on the fly then just stick to the factory boost control.

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 15d

Is the same issues experienced when running the eboost Street with an external gate?

Depends on the mods really. BUT for example the first graph below is when I had an FG rear housing, 12psi act, and a 3.5" xforce exhaust (along with plenum etc etc). If I ran the eBoost street boost would drop off at high RPM. With these mods running the factory closed loop control you can see the PI controller increasing duty cycle to fight the boost drop off.

I then went and modified the exhasut and put a straight through magnaflow muffler on the rear. End result was boost rise with the internal gate if I ran a fixed duty cycle via the eBoost street. So I fitted an ETM external gate (38mm tial) and welded the screamer back into the dump. As you can see in the second graph the PI controller is removing duty cycle to prevent boost from rising.

SO to run a fixed duty cycle the set-up needs to be perfect if you want a flat boost curve. The 38mm gate is probably too small in my case....a 45mm would have been better :-(

the PI calibrations are not the same between graphs which is why the second is oscillating.

post-6920-128203594786_thumb.jpg

post-6920-128203596188_thumb.jpg

Edited by IH8TOADS