First Mods Thread!

NVT

• Formerly EGOBFXR6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 2m 14d

Thanks Arkayne :drool:

As Nige said, a very informative answer. After only 76 posts, you've got it all under control :spoton:

Val,

There are all sorts of things that you can do yourself, in regards to basic maintanance, but mods....? The number of mods you can do yourself is limited to tools, equipment and know-how. And then there are a number of things that you probably shouldn't/can't do yourself.

Unless you have quite a lot of knowledge, as a mechanic or someone else who works a lot with modifiyng cars, there's probably not a heap you can do... Things like modifying your air box, possibly changing an exhaust/IC, X-overs etc can be done, but when it needs to be tuned rigt afterwards, there's no real reason not to have your tuner install it. You won't be saving much money...

If I were you, I'd stick to simple maintanance thing like changing oil, coolant, filters, plugs, etc.... and leave the modifications to the experts.

Cheers and welcome - And those Cobra style decals look great on the right car! I haven't really seen them anywhere though... (Although once I test drove a green T with gold cobra stripes and the dealer said they cost about $1K. They had someone come in and do them. That was at Centreford in Perth if you're interested...)

Dan

Edited by NVT
  • Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 10m 9d
Oh, also, I've seen a LOT of XR6T's running with very identical boost and something else guages on the panel of the dash to the drivers left hand side (center console location), what are they and where do we get them? They seem MADE for our cars, so it's also another mod that I think would classify as a 'newbs' mod that I and others would probably love!

There are a number a places making gauge holders for the BA/BF models. A search around this site should find you plenty of examples of peoples installs and even installation guides.

Pole Position Auto do a 3 gauge holder, website here and forum here.

Miss Aly has twin and single gauge holders on ebay here.

SS Inductions also have a twin gauge holder here.

There are probably others that I have missed but that should get you started

• Formerly EGOBFXR6
  • Donating Members

Yeah Val,

Just about every performance company makes some style of gauge, and many of them will be fine in the XRT.

As Plague said, companies like PP and SS. Also X-force, VDO, Autometer, And there's always the FPV gauges as well.

There are a number of Gauge combinations you can have. Some people run 2 gauges, while others run 3.

You can choose from boost, oil temp, oil pressure, air/fuel, Battery Voltage, and others. Just depends on what you want.

Cheers,

Dan

• 3 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 5d

Okay guys so almost 2 months has passed since I got my car. I've aquired a full system, 4 inch dump, 3.5 inch hi flo cat, and twin 2.5's. I'm talking with dave (blueboost) about the tune and other things to get done at the same time. I'm definately going to go for the process west intercooler kit (2 or 3) , with the stage 3 throttlebody relocation & under battery cai.

It will breathe better, flow better, and with daves help, I'll get a custom tune, along with some injectors.

For the other starters, I was only going to get a tune, then a tune and injectors... then that plus a high flow cat... on and on and on and on it went...

How I got to making this decision to be where I am now, is I broke it down into 4 steps.

1. How many KW did I want......................300rwkw min

2. How did I want to acheive it..................Reliably, my wife drives this car too... (this meant more money, and waiting a little to get everything)

3. Who was I going to use.........................I used this forum and found dave (Blueboost) from CVP Tuning in Mackay

4. Budget................................................Ask your tuner, he will know better than you how much it will cost. My budget has fluctuated somewhat, but is steady between $2750 and $3250 Fitted, always ask for fitted cost, a set of injectors for $500 is reasonable, but with $650 to fit them (as one tuner quoted me) can knock a hole the size of my ex girlfriends ass in a budget realy quick.

Don't be afraid to ask questions............I have contacted dave no less than 5 times, and everytime he has been helpful. Before him I contacted 4 other tuners in my area, and was quoted upwards of $6000 in some cases to get the output I wanted, one shop telling me I 100% needed new rods before I could break 280rwkw.

Your tuner should be able to understand what you want, offer advice, put up with your sh*tty requests, answer your dumb questions... Cheers dave :fishin: seriously if you don't ask, and something fcuks up, or you get severely overcharged, it's your own fault.

Just so you know I'm and am close to making a booking for fitment and tuning shortly. will keep y'all posted.

• Like 1

• Formerly EGOBFXR6
  • Donating Members

Nice mate,

Congratulations on deciding. I'm sure you'll love the power mate...

(Just put a towel under your seat the first time you boot it so you don't get sh*t on the seat hahahaha) :fishin:

Keep us posted on how it all goes mate,

Cheers,

Dan

• 3 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 5m 5d

Guys,

I have an absolutely stock FG XR6T sedan....I'm leasing but will takeover at end of lease. If I was not to change anything physically in the car but just tune-up a notch or two ...does anyone now what one can achieve or what the options are? Apologies if this is considered to be too open-ended a question.