Insurance....merged Topic....

Mondie

Insurance companies...  

825 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m
Heya,

A mate is looking at getting a BA XR6 Turbo, just had a few questions about insurance.

Looking around this thread, I am guessing that since he is 19, the $2,000p.a mark is about right for comprehensive?

Is it cheaper to put the car in your parents name, and put you as a 10%/youngest driver?

How much should I tell them about the car? List every single mod?

What happens if I get it insured, then I modify it? Do I have to tell them?

Thanks alot.

Mate I'm no expert but from reading many insurance threads I have a fair idea that

- if you have a prang in the car as a 10% driver thingo they will probably dig around and try to prove you drove far more than that and deny the claim?

- Definitely list and tell them about ANY mods. Even tinted windows...well at least don't get it illegally dark - more denial of claim grounds. But certainly power mods or lowering etc I'd think would need to be approved. They employ people to deny claims and read a post from someone who used to do just that.

Having had a prang myself recently I can tell you even a not so bad one (coulda driven car if fuses hadn't blown) can cost over ten grand no worries. Mine was about 16 grand to cover both cars being repaired. Not the sort of coin I have laying around...dunno about you!

Good luck getting a sweet deal man, insurance is worth getting right!

• Member For: 16y 3m 18d
Heya,

A mate is looking at getting a BA XR6 Turbo, just had a few questions about insurance.

Looking around this thread, I am guessing that since he is 19, the $2,000p.a mark is about right for comprehensive?

Is it cheaper to put the car in your parents name, and put you as a 10%/youngest driver?

How much should I tell them about the car? List every single mod?

What happens if I get it insured, then I modify it? Do I have to tell them?

Thanks alot.

I can answer the first 2 questions for ya. 2000-3000 would be around the money depending on where u go. I'm 20 and my car is in my old mans name and im a registerd driver, got full compo for 700 per year. Be careful though alot of places dont allow registerd drivers under the age of 25 for these cars so shop around for a while. Not sure about mods I actually just called my insurer just now and asked about that as im looking to mod my car. Someone who has gone throgh that may be able to help out more

• Member For: 16y 3m 18d

Ive just called my insurance dude about mods. What do they class as mods? Im guessing anything upgraded from stock would be classified? Eg, Im looking at getting the injectors, fuel pump, valve springs, cooler, catback exhaust and a flash tune? Do I tell them about all of it as I dont want to void my insurance if I ever need it

• Member For: 17y 1m 4d

If you dont want your insurance voided in the event of one day needing it, then tell them everything. Some companies will just list it and do nothing else. Others may insure you but bump up your premium or excess. Others may not wish to insure you at all. Shop around and good luck!

Edited by craiginmackay

My insurance company didn't class my mods as mods... Apparently a 400rwkw Phoon isn't any more of a liability than a stock one :beerchug::w00t2:

If I had 20" wheels or lowered suspension, they'd have to be listed though?? Idiots

• Member For: 15y 7m

Anything to do with an Insurance company I'd be telling them everything, if you spend big $ on mods and then you roll it a week later and right it off or it gets stolen you will only be insured for what is listed on your premium e.g if you have a stock BF 11 turbo and that's what is on the premium then that's what you will be covered for. Anything extra will not be covered you may as well throw your cash away and buy a commodore !! If you list it then at least you know as mentioned above it's worth doing right the first time. Drivers in general under 30 and more so under 25 get crucified pretty hard as it is, so being a 21 yr old having a turbo and not disclosing everything will only make things harder after the fact and then it's all too late.

that's partly how they make their money. I had my car stolen from my house about 9 years ago and was a rating 2 and and even though I had alarm and kill switch and it was locked blah blah and wasnt my fault I was still penalised down to rating 4 just because a claim had been made.

• Member For: 17y 2m 13d

I just bought a BA MKII XR6T im only 22 and Just cars wanted 2300, AAMI wanted 1700 and NRMA wanted 1000 so I went with NRMA. Though its a 500 basic excess + $400 under 25 excess and a $600 Driving History Excess if I make a claim! I've had a few speeding tickets in the past 5 years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 15y 11m 12d

Am now 25. Live in the western Suburbs in Melbourne.

Got my BF XR6T insured for $1100. Rating 1

I was happy. AAMI quoted me $2200. Interesting.

It's funny, I used to have an old beat up magna as my first car when I was 19. Cot me $2000 to insure and went no where.

Marty